Saturday, October 9, 2010

Vanilla Milk Chiffon


It was my 3rd attempt on baking a chiffon cake.  My 1st try was lemon chiffon cake with Eve at her hse, a very beautiful & successful chiffon cake.  The 2nd try was a parmesan chiffon cake, I baked it myself at mum's place but was a failure as the cake was over baked (as I followed the time given by the recipe, 180C for 45min).

This time I baked it with little girl's help, with her ka-ka cau-cau (disturbs) around, the cake was alright but didn't stir well as there were white & light yellow color part :)  Nonetheless, the cake is nice and soft, love the smell & taste of vanilla and milk.

The recipe was adapted from Carol, I'd followed all the ingredients and method closely.

Ingredients
90g milk
1/3 vanilla bean
120g superfine flour
5 egg yolks
30g sugar
60g oil

5 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
60g sugar
  1. Split the vanilla bean, remove all seed out and mix into the milk, give the milk a boil, drain then let it cool off
  2. Beat egg yolks with sugar til pale and creamy
  3. Add in oil, mix til well combined
  4. Fold in flour in batches, alternate with vanilla milk
  5. In a another bowl, beat egg white until foamy, add in cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peak.  Gradually beat in sugar and beat until stiff peak
  6. Gently fold in 1/3 of egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter, fold until just blended then pour everything into remaining egg white mixture, continue folding until mix well
  7. Pour into 9" tube pan, baked in preheated oven at 160C for 50 minutes
Can u see the different color tones in the cake?

I was amazed to see the free hand unmolding method which was suggested by Ahmok (阿莫小小烘焙站), I gave it a try, it works but the careless me spoilt a small part:

will keep practicing :)

Or see the method here for yourself...

No comments: