It was my 3rd attempt on baking a chiffon cake. My 1st try was lemon chiffon cake with Eve at her hse, a very beautiful & successful chiffon cake. The 2nd try was a parmesan chiffon cake, I baked it myself at mum's place but was a failure as the cake was over baked (as I followed the time given by the recipe, 180C for 45min).
This time I baked it with little girl's help, with her ka-ka cau-cau (disturbs) around, the cake was alright but didn't stir well as there were white & light yellow color part :) Nonetheless, the cake is nice and soft, love the smell & taste of vanilla and milk.
The recipe was adapted from Carol, I'd followed all the ingredients and method closely.
1/3 vanilla bean
120g superfine flour
5 egg yolks
5 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Split the vanilla bean, remove all seed out and mix into the milk, give the milk a boil, drain then let it cool off
- Beat egg yolks with sugar til pale and creamy
- Add in oil, mix til well combined
- Fold in flour in batches, alternate with vanilla milk
- In a another bowl, beat egg white until foamy, add in cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peak. Gradually beat in sugar and beat until stiff peak
- Gently fold in 1/3 of egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter, fold until just blended then pour everything into remaining egg white mixture, continue folding until mix well
- Pour into 9" tube pan, baked in preheated oven at 160C for 50 minutes
Can u see the different color tones in the cake?
I was amazed to see the free hand unmolding method which was suggested by Ahmok (阿莫小小烘焙站), I gave it a try, it works but the careless me spoilt a small part:
will keep practicing :)
Or see the method here for yourself...