Little girl is a big fan of Auntie Anne's sour cream pretzel, I can't figure either she likes the sour cream more or the pretzel, but it'd be a must buy item whenever she sees the outlet, and not just buying 1 but at least 2!
When I saw the recipe at Famous Cuisine (No. 59 - Nov-Dec 2009), I told little girl I'd bake it for her. And I did, last Dec, but the stupid me forgot to put in yeast (will show u the pic later), the result turned out hard as rock, I had to feed the rubbish bin instead of little girl :p Then I was busy with stuffs and forgot about it totally until I re-read the magazine again few days ago.
I'm home today, doing revision with little girl, managed to steal some times to bake it. Here u r, the recipe:
450g high protein flour
50g whole meal flour
40g brown sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp water
50g parmesan cheese (used cheddar popcorn seasoning)
3 tbsp butter, melted
- Combine flours, sugar, salt and instant yeast in a mixer, add in water, beat until forms smooth and elastic dough
- Place dough in a warm place, covered and leave to leaven for 60 minutes or until doubled in size
- Divide dough into 8 portions (100g each), roll the dough into long strip (about 20 inches) and shape by crossing and twisting like pretzel
- Place twisted pretzel on a greased baking pan, leave to leaven for 15 minutes
- Drop pretzel into the soda solution and remove
- Glaze with beaten egg, sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes. Remove and glaze with butter, sprinkle parmesan cheese again. Continue bake for another 10-15 minutes or until cook
- Remove from oven and glaze with melted butter immediately
I halved the ingredients listed above and managed to get 3 pretzels and 2 pretzel knots and I didn't take out the pretzel like (7), just baked them for about 20 minutes in 1 go.
2 cheese pretzel
1 plain butter pretzel
2 pretzel knots
Top with ketchup, ham and lot of cheddar cheese
These pretzels r soft and tasted so delicious with a glass of ice milk tea after hours of studying (actually there was plenty of rest times in between of study)
Tsk... Forgot to update on this, I actually hand-kneaded these babies, not as tough as I thot...
Now, wanna have a look of the fail attempt I did last Dec, so shy to show u these:
Super hard rocky pretzels: plain and with cinnamon sugar
The stupid me realized of the yeast-less only after baking and while sampling it!