Friday, July 3, 2009

Watermelon Skins, Peas & Chicken Soup

Mum gave me half of a yellow watermelon on Tue, hubby helped me skinned the watermelon & kept those skins in the fridge reserved for boiling the leong soi next day.

I planned on boiling this pea soup on Wed, but since I bought very few of it, I decided to mix in those watermelon skins. Does anyone have any idea what is the name of this peas? They r in this pink color pod, I think this peas r used only for boiling soup and I heard they r good for eyes.

The watermelon skins tasted a bit like winter melon, I lied to little girl that this is the winter melon soup, but she said it tasted very different, ;p think was due to the lack of salted radish.

The soup is very 'ching' (清) or clear.

It tasted best a day later.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Those pink peas when raw is speckled right? My favorite too but DH dont like them hence dont buy them these days! I have only had them in savory soups! This is a new twist!

kel said...

Yes, Emily! The pea r either white or with pink speckle. Er... this is a savory soup leh, I added chicken to boil with it :)

Carrie said...

Hi Kel,

I love the peas too, heard from my mum that it's called "Zhen Zhu Dou" translated to eng as Pearl Peas.

Cheerios!

kel said...

Hi, Carrie, thanks 4 finding out the name ;)

WendyinKK said...

The beans that U mentioned here is cranberry beans.
I did a cranberry bean soup on my blog ages ago.
The Chinese in Malaysia call it "mushroom bean", even Jusco in Ipoh labels it as mushroom bean, but the correct name will be cranberry bean.