Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shanghai Veggie Rice

I had seen the recipe at Carol's but I didn't follow it, just playing with the ingredients I had on hand.

Ingredients
1 cup rice & pearl barley
enough water to cook rice according to the rice cooker suggestion
5 stalks pak choys, chopped
1 handful char siew, chopped
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced

Seasoning
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
a dash fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
50ml chicken stock

  1. Put enough water into rice & pearl barley, cook in rice cooker
  2. Loosen the rice when it is cooked, set aside
  3. Heat pan with a bit of oil, lightly fry shallot and garlic til fragrant
  4. Put in char siew, stir fry til fragrant
  5. Put in chopped pak choy, stir fry til soft
  6. Add in seasonings, sauteed for a minute
  7. Stir in cooked rice, mix it evenly with veggie mixture, cover the lid, heat for 2 - 3 minutes.  Serve.
As I am having yoga class at 8pm tonite, it was advisable not to eat (heavily til full) 2 hours before it, thus I gotta have a heavy lunch in order to last me til 9.30pm.  The rice, egg & some chili belacan are good to last me til the class over :)

This rice is easy to cook and still tasty when eating cold, it is ideal to pack into bento as well.

2 comments:

HK Choo said...

Nice "sunflower", I'm sure one's appetite will be whetted when seeing this. I know I am!

kel said...

:) thanks, HK.