One fine day...
LG: Mummy, do u know what Pucca and her friends like to eat?
Me: Hmmm..... zha jiang noodle? (ok, I admit I watched with little girl occasionally, cos Pucca is so cute!)
LG: YES! How do u know mummy?
Me: Hahaha.... cos I'm your mummy, I know everything! * Wink * You wanna try zha jiang mian? May be I can cook it for u.
LG: Ooh... but it is hot & spicy!
Me: I can make a non-spicy version for u, ok?
So after promising her, I look-see for recipe of zha jiang mian, but most of them require ingredients (黃醬-yellow soy bean paste，甜面醬-sweet bean sauce) that I couldn't find in the supermarket here. Then, while grocery shopping at Jusco Mid Valley last week, I found a bottle of sweet yellow bean paste, thought it should be close to the sweet bean sauce.
When I browsed thru the web again today, I found this site (Eupho Cafe) where miso was added to the recipe. This gonna be very interesting, I decided to follow the recipe with minor changes, and the zha jiang mian gonna be our dinner tonite.
6 tbsp miso
4 tbsp sweet yellow bean paste
1 cup water
400g minced pork (I had about 350g)
50g mushroom, diced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp cooking wine
1.5 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp ginger, diced (change to onion and garlic as hubby & LG dislike ginger)
1 tbsp sugar
- Mix miso, sweet yellow bean paste with water, mix til combine
- Pour cooking wine, soy sauce and water into minced pork, mix til pork absorb all liquid, then stir in corn flour
- In a pan or wok, heat oil, stir fry minced pork til pale, remove from pan, set aside
- Fry onion, garlic and mushroom in pan til fragrant, add in sugar, then pour in miso mixture from (1), cook til boil, stir in cooked pork
- Cook pork mixture and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until gravy turn slightly dry
Little girl's bowl of zha jiang mian
My bowl of zha jiang mian with plenty of red hot chili oil
At the beginning I thought the gravy would be very salty but it turned out alright after mixing with the noodle. Overall, we were very happy with the zha jiang mian, little girl asked for more gravy and emptied her bowl fast. Yum!