Saturday, November 7, 2009

Brownies


I am crazy with chocolate lately, as little girl loves chocolate, I always like to see her devouring it happily & keep asking for more, especially the moist chocolate cake baked a week ago.

Saw Happy Home Baking's lovely brownies, can't wait to bake one for little girl!

Ingredients

150g semisweet chocolate, chopped
120ml sunflower oil (I used corn oil)
215g light brown sugar (I cut down further to 180g)
2 eggs
5ml vanilla essence
65g self-raising flour (I used 65g all purpose flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
4 tbsps cocoa powder (unsweetened)
4 tbsps milk chocolate chips
75g chopped walnuts (I omitted this too)
  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease/line a shallow 19cm/7.5 inch square pan
  2. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water
  3. With a electric mixer, beat together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl
  4. Stir in the melted chocolate then beat well until evenly mixed
  5. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the batter. With a spatula, fold thoroughly until all the flour mixture incorporates into the batter
  6. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix well
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared square tin. Spread the mixture evenly to the edges. (The mixture is rather sticky and gooey)
  8. Bake for about 30 - 35 mins until the top is firm and crusty. Cool in pan before cutting into squares

Usually when I baked cakes, little girl would give me a hand in the kitchen, either reading me the measurement of ingredients, sifting the flour, mixing the batter, etc As for this time, after step 4 above, I passed her a very important job - clean the chocolate bowl, well, not washing it but licking it, hehehe, she didn't disappoint me at all, the bowl was basically shine after her careful 'cleaning' process, ;p

I had a piece after cooling & cutting, the texture was a crusty at the outer layer & chewy at the center, and again, love the chocolate, but was rather too sweet to my liking. The next morning, gave 2 pieces to little girl as breakfast, she told me she dislike it (she ate a piece only), though is so chocolatie, :( I ate 2 pieces in the morning, the texture had changed, the outer layer became very crusty & crumbly and the center still remain moist, yum, but too sweet :( Everyone who ate this brownies complained that it was too sweet, next time must cut the sugar down to 150g.

3 comments:

Simonne said...

hi Kel,
Nice brownies
I baked this today but mine didnt have a nice crust top, i mean mine is slight burn. But they still taste great!

kel said...

Hi Simonne, welcome to my blog! Glad u like the brownies too, did u set the temperature correctly?

Simonne said...

The temp ? Ya i set it to 175 C
Maybe I should set it to 170 C next time...
coz my top crust doesn't turn out as nice as yours....