Sunday, August 8, 2010

Loh Mai Kai


Everyone in this household love to consume glutinous rice, be it rice dumpling (粽子), loh mai fan (糯米飯) or loh mai kai (糯米雞) and even tang yuan (湯圓), etc.

While we did our grocery shopping last week, I was surprised to see a pack of 1kg glutinous rice in the trolley, hubby said he felt like eating the rice.  Since he already hinted me, no matter what I gotta cook it and satisfy his desire :p

I used the recipe from The Star online - Kuali, modified the recipe slightly and made it for dinner today.

Ingredients
300g glutinous rice
2 cups water (combination of water from soaking scallops and mushrooms)
1 whole drumstick, cut into bite size
50g char siew, sliced
1 chinese sausage
12 small dried scallops, soaked
4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked
1 eryngii mushroom, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced

Seasoning (A)
2 tbsp sauce mixture leftover from char kway teow
1 tbsp ginger wine
pinch of pepper
1 tsp corn flour

Seasoning (B)
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (I left out this)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder (I did't add in as I stock it)

  1. Wash glutinous rice, then soak it for 2 or 3 hours.  Steam it for 30 minutes.  Half way thru the steaming process, place chinese sausage and soaked scallops on top of rice, continue steaming
  2. Slice chinese sausage thinly and remove scallops from rice, set aside
  3. Marinate chicken with seasoning (A) for about 1 to 2 hours
  4. Heat oil in a wok and saute garlic til fragrant.  Add mushrooms and chicken, stir fry quickly then dish up
  5. Mix glutinous rice with seasoning (B) and water, cook for 5 minutes (I'd forgotten the cooking part)
  6. Grease 8 rice bowls.  Put in some mushrooms, chinese sausages, chicken, char siew and scallops
  7. Fill up with glutinous rice til 2/3 of bowl and press down with a ladle
  8. Steam for 30 minutes
  9. Turn over the rice bowl onto a plate
  10. Serve while warm



"Oh... It is so soft and gooey", that's the statement little girl gave me after her first bite.  Whereas hubby passed me a satisfy look, :)

2 comments:

HK Choo said...

My oh my, I love the addition of eryngii mushroom since I'm a mushroom lover, hahah..

kel said...

Actually, I had only 4 dried shiitake mushrooms left in the pantry, loh mai kai won't taste right if without the mushroom, right? (>_o)