Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweet Potato and Nian Gao Bun


Took some sweet potatoes from MIL, thot of using it to fried the 1/2 nian gao I left, but at the end decided to change to make do some buns.

I used the no-kneaded method for the bread dough, as for the fillings, I just mixed & matched myself, luckily it turned out good :p

Ingredients
300g sweet potatoes, steamed, skinned & mashed
10g butter
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
8 nian gao cubes (cut to bite size)

  1. Mix butter, sugar and salt into mashed sweet potatoes, mix til well combine
  2. Separate mashed sweet potatoes into 8 balls, wrapping each with a piece of nian gao in the center
  3. Let the sweet potato balls chill in fridge for 30 minutes
  4. Wrap each potato balls into bread dough
  5. Proof for 30 minutes
  6. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle some black sesame seed on top
  7. Baked for 20 minutes in preheat oven at 180C

I liked the combination of the sweet potato and the nian gao, both were soft & gooey, awesome!

See what I meant on the gooey part :p

Yummy bun!

No comments: