Took some sweet potatoes from MIL, thot of using it to fried the 1/2 nian gao I left, but at the end decided to change to make do some buns.
I used the no-kneaded method for the bread dough, as for the fillings, I just mixed & matched myself, luckily it turned out good :p
300g sweet potatoes, steamed, skinned & mashed
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
8 nian gao cubes (cut to bite size)
- Mix butter, sugar and salt into mashed sweet potatoes, mix til well combine
- Separate mashed sweet potatoes into 8 balls, wrapping each with a piece of nian gao in the center
- Let the sweet potato balls chill in fridge for 30 minutes
- Wrap each potato balls into bread dough
- Proof for 30 minutes
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle some black sesame seed on top
- Baked for 20 minutes in preheat oven at 180C
I liked the combination of the sweet potato and the nian gao, both were soft & gooey, awesome!
See what I meant on the gooey part :p