This steamed radish cake has been in my to-do list for few years, and I finally dare to make it come thru :p Luckily, it turned out fine but was rather too salty as I over seasoned it.
I adapted the recipe from Shirley@原味生活, she had listed the ingredients and steps clearly, thus it was so easy to follow. I'll advice u to go thru her recipe a few times b4 attempting on trying out the recipe.
1800g radish, skinned and shredded
75g rice flour
150g corn starch
375ml water (liquid from cooking radish)
4-6 shiitake mushroom, cubed
2 sticks chinese sausages, cubed
50g dried shrimps, diced
- Heat wok or pan, stir fry chinese sausage and dried shrimps til fragrant, add in shiitake mushroom, continue stir fry til oil being absorbed and fragrant. Dish out and set aside
- In the same wok or pan (without washing), cook the radish with its juice til soft, mix in the pre-cooked chinese sausage, shiitake mushroom and dried shrimps, seasoned with sugar, salt & pepper to taste. Off heat
- Remove 375ml liquid from cooked mixture, mix into rice flour and corn starch (do not have to wait til cool), stir well til blended and not lumpy
- Without turning on the heat, pour the batter into radish mixture, mix well
- Turn on low flame, keep stirring & folding the mixture til liquid turning dry and mixture turning gooey
- Off heat, continue stirring & folding the mixture til even
- Oil a mold, pour in the radish mixture, even and smooth out the surface
- Steamed with high flame for 40 - 45 minutes
I made a mistake on seasoning the radish b4 mixing in the pre-cooked chinese sausages and stuffs, thus it turned much too salty.
I like the texture and it was really filled with all the goodies' flavors, will definitely make it again next year!