Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Strawberry Custard Pie


Decided upon baking this pie was rather ad hoc.  As I bought a box of strawberries a week ago, and they were left in the fridge and were forgotten, when I saw the box again yesterday, they were still alright but I gotta quickly use them up b4 they turn rotten.

I adapted the sweet pastry recipe from AG's 'Irresistible Pastry', a very crispy pastry I able to get.

Sweet crust pastry:
(yield 540g pastry)
Ingredient
(A)
70g icing sugar
150g butter

(B)
1 egg

(C)
260g flour
1 tbsp milk powder

  1. Mix (A) until well combined and add in (B), cream until smooth
  2. Add in sifted (C) and mix until well blended
  3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm
  4. Take out and roll between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to the desired thickness and size (use about 300g)
  5. Line the greased pie mould with the rolled pastry
  6. Prick the pastry with fork and chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes
  7. Cover the pastry shell with foil, bake at 190C for 15 minutes
  8. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes
  9. Let it cool
  10. The remaining unbaked pastry dough able to store in the freezer for future usage


I used the custard recipe from the Mille Crepe Cake, the custard is awesome, couldn't stop myself from keep scooping or licking it.  I made a little mistake here, I should have doubled the custard recipe as the pie is big, I got a very thin layer of custard for the pie only :(

You may also notice from the photo that I spread a layer of nutella chocolate onto the pie, as I hope that the nutella will act as a wall to prevent the moist from custard to soften the pie crust, keep my fingers cross :)

Little girl had this piece for breakfast, she loves it, especially the strawberries which were sweetened by the icing sugar and custard

No comments: