Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jalur Gemilang Bento

This is the month of our national day, and little girl's school were having the related theme too.  I'd been thinking of doing something related to this theme for a while.  Hm...  Why not our flag, since it's so colourful, it will of course attract little girl's attention.  She learned the flag's name last year, and couldn't stop telling us whenever she sees one.

Then I struggled on what ingredients to use for the colours (blue, yellow, red and white), as I don wanna use any artificial colouring.  Also, what others additional ingredients to use in order to fill up her little tummy, rice, noodles, or bread?  There were so many ???? on my head.

Blue had been very difficult for me, the only ingredient with the nearest colour that I can think off is eggplant. Yeah, I know, it's purple, but had been thinking hard, still couldn't think of anything in blue. Can you think of any, please advice.

After the school holiday, I went to SS2 pasar malam with little girl, she asked me to buy crab sticks, ah, 2 colours in one ingredient, red and white.  Before that, I thought of using tomato sauce for the red and mayo or fried egg white for the white, but they were not that good comparing to this, phew, little girl helped me out on this.

As for the yellow, aiya, simple, just fried egg loh!

Then on Tue, asked little girl, "What do u want to have for your bento this Thu, rice, mee, meehoon or bread?"  She answered me bread.  Ok, why don I make her a sandwich roll!  I was very excited after having all the questions solved and kept practicing to decorate the bento in my mind.

I asked little girl on wed, "Do u know what are u going to have for your bento?  It's about national day.", She answered me happily "Is it the national flag?"  Hey, she knew!

So on the Thu morning, microwaved the eggplant and crab sticks, then fried egg.  Took a piece of bread, cut off the "pei-pei" (outer brown skin), and rolled it flat with a roller pin.  Placed it on top of a sling film (so that may roll into a sandwich roll), spread butter on bread, put on a piece of lettuce, followed with some cream cheese, then ham, then some mayo to act as glue.  Started decorating the flag then, cut out the skin of eggplant, followed with the moon and star fried egg using cookie mold, and long pieces of red and white crabstick.

When little girl opened her bento box, "Wah, mummy, Jalur Gemilang!"  Even one of her friend came over to see it, “那是國旗嗎?"  Hee hee, happy to hear their little conversations.

"Mummy, I don want the purple thing, ok?"  Even little girl said it is purple, not blue, sigh!  Little girl preferred to eat the flag first, then only she allowed me to roll up the sandwich.

A happy day for me to see little girl finished up her bento again.


2 comments:

Jess said...

Very creative Kelly !

3lilangels said...

What a great idea for a bento. My girl was really impressed with it.