Tuesday, August 12, 2008

ABC soup


Ok, this ABC soup is not those soup with alphabet pasta, it is potato and carrot soup.  I think it is widely known as ABC soup in S'pore and M'sia.  Of course everybody know how to cook this kids-friendly soup, what I would like to share today is cook with lots of onions and omit the meat or bone.  I heard from an uncle that it may help to prevent or cure cold.

Well, we'd a terrible cold over the weekend, luckily little girl recover fast with the help of medicines I'd always standby in the cabinet.  However, me and hubby were so sick that we'd to visit doctor. After taking medicines for 2 days, it is slightly better, but the sore-throat turned to bad coughing! Hubby and I didn't have appetite to eat, thus I decided to make this soup.  

The ingredients was 6 potatoes, 6 onions, a carrot and 3 tomatoes, peeled the skins off, cut them into big chunks and here was how I cooked the soup:

1. Boiled water in a pot, put in onions, let it boiled for 5 minutes
2. Threw in everything except tomatoes, turned fire to low and let it boiled for 15 min
3. Put in tomatoes, boiled for another 15 min
4. Add in pepper and salt to taste and done!

Yes, fast and simple.  This soup is clear and has it own natural sweetness from all the root vegetables and a hint of sourness from the tomatoes.

Believe it or not, after taking a bowl of the soup, I was sweated all over, and gave a few loud burps.  As for little girl, she dislike onion but she likes this soup, she even told me this: 

LG: I ate onion, mummy!
M: Good, do u like it?
LG: Yeah, but I want onion for this only ah, not other dish, ok?
M: Ok.

Isn't she sweet?

I found this information on goodness of onions thru the web.  It mentioned under the title of "Anti-Inflammatory and anti-bacterial activity" that it helps to prevent colds and flu and is beneficial to asthmatics.  It also mentioned that onion soups are good during cold seasons and when you are threatened with flu.

No comments: