Cream puffs were actually the 1st baked dessert I tried during my teens or 20th, I can't remember well :p I'd tried so many cream puff recipes, however recipes from those days were not so complete, sometimes I got the puffs baked nicely, but sometimes it would be a total failure. Also, I didn't have a good custard cream recipe, therefore the cream puffs weren't that tempting those day but I still enjoyed eating them.
Now, with the help of internet, nothing is secret and I managed to get the recipes I wanted so easily. I choose Masa's cream puff recipe and Carol's vanilla custard recipe (the leftover from Hakkaido Chiffon Cupcake) I promised you this combination is really really yummilicious!
(Yield 36 mini puffs)
60g cake flour / superfine flour
60g bread flour / high protein flour
100ml milk / water
2 - 3 eggs, beat
- Mix cake flour and bread flour together, sieved
- In a sauce pan, bring butter and water to a boil or until butter melted, off heat
- Pour all flour into hot liquid, mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula, turn on low flame, cook until a thin layer skin lightly stick to the pan, off heat
- While batter is hot, fold in egg, a little at a time, until getting a smooth thick paste or when the batter drip down from spatula, it drips slowly in a triangle form
- Spoon into piping bag, pipe your desire size of choux pastry onto baking tray
- Spray some water onto the choux pastry before put into oven
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 200C for 30 minutes
- Cool on rack after taking out from oven
- Serve with vanilla custard cream squeezed into each puffs
Little girl loves this cream puffs so much that she ate about 6 right after dinner! Even picky eater Y said he liked the cream very much and requested 1 for supper.