Sunday, September 26, 2010

Honey Pumpkin Loaf and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Comparing the color of pumpkin bread with Gardenia's

Can u see the bright yellow turned out in the bread, such a nice & bright color :)

Actually, I didn't plan to bake anything originally, bcos
1. I thought I'd used up all the high protein flour in mum's place
2. Don know what to bake
3. Lazy to think and bake :p

Then, when I was at mum's place after lunch, mum told me that the cream corn loaf had made a hit in the family and the in-laws (SIL's parent).  Mum requested the loaf again (she missed it so much) and had 'ordered' SIL to get a can of cream corn, also telling the lazy me that god mum had passed a kg of high protein flour over (o_O)

While waiting for SIL's return, I told mum that I was eyeing on the pumpkin that was sitting at her kitchen  (dad said it must have been there for at least 3 months!), she gave me the green light to 'slaughter' the pumpkin and here is the pumpkin loaf I got :)

An almost perfect loaf

I adopted the recipe from Carol, slightly adjusted the ingredient as I got plenty of sweet liquid after steaming the pumpkin.

Ingredient
150g mashed pumpkin
280g high protein flour
1 egg
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1/8 tsp salt
20g honey
30g milk (changed to 1 tbsp milk powder and 30g liquid mentioned above)
30g butter

Here is a closer look of the pumpkin bread comparing with the Gardenia bread

As for the pumpkin seed, I scooped all out from the pumpkin, gave them a good wash, sprinkled a bit of salt and let it sun-bathed for about 1/2 an hour trying to dry off the water.  It was ashamed that I didn't take care of the roasting part, as I was busy 'building walls' (mahjong-ing), sis & mum baked the loafs and seed as the same time.  Sis kept asking me is it (the seed) ready, however, the careless & busy me were not paying attention, thot that she was asking me about the loaf, I kept telling her to relax, it won't burn at all, just follow the time.  So the seeds ended up nice & crisp at the outer layer, fragrant while bite open the skin, but bitter at the inner part :(  It could be very delicious, such a waste....

The beautiful looking pumpkin seeds

No comments: